While we think every day is essentially Social Media Day, June 30th marks the eighth-annual official global celebration. All month long, we will be sharing stories on the impact social media has had on our lives as we get ready to celebrate using the hashtag #StaySocial.
Through the years, social media has evolved into one of the most important and powerful tools in our every day lives. Over 2.34 billion people in the world are using social media. Businesses are booming with social media marketing, family and friends are staying in touch even from miles and miles away, and people are networking with others they normally wouldn't have if they were not on social media. We have listed 10 most common reasons why people use social media below.
- Social interaction – social media, not surprisingly, allows people to be social. They meet new people and keep in touch with friends, acquaintances and family.
- Information seeking – this refers to the process of finding information about products/services, keeping up to date with real-world social events, and learning new things.
- Passing time – social media is a great time killer and can cure boredom whether at home, at school, or in the work place.
- Entertainment – games, music and videos are all accessed through social media. Watching the stream of updates from people is also a form of entertainment – whether intentionally humorous or not.
- Relaxation – whilst people find others updates humorous, they also find them relaxing. Social media is a way to alleviate stress and escape from reality
- Expression of opinions – expressing thoughts and opinions, criticizing others and blowing off steam (either anonymously or named) is regularly undertaken through social media.
- Things to talk about – like the daily newspaper, social media provide subject matter for people to talk and gossip about with others.
- Convenience – social media is readily accessible, even more so as mobile devices become ubiquitous. Furthermore, people can talk to several people at the same time.
- Sharing information – people can use social media to broadcast things about themselves. By publishing updates, videos and pictures, people market their own personal brand or business.
- Knowing about others – social media allows a window into the lives of others. By checking out other profiles, they can be nosey or ‘keep up with the Jones’’.
Are these some of the reasons why you use social media? Share your story with us in the comments about the positive impact social media has had on your life and join us for brunch on June 30th as we celebrate National Social Media Day. RSVP here.